Friday, June 3, 2011

This Weekend's Photo Assignment: Festival Food

The 2011 Festival of the Arts is happening this weekend in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan. The city streets are closed off and there are six stages full of every kind of dance and music you can imagine. There's a Regional Arts Competition and two large tents full of local artists selling their creations. There are activities that allow kids and adults to create art. It's the largest all-volunteer arts festival in the country. (Did I mention it's free?)

Festival is a celebration of everything I love about Grand Rapids and West Michigan - the art, the music, the people and the warm summer days. But here's my big confession: the entire reason I go to Festival is the food. Local non-profit organizations set up booths (33 this year!) throughout the city and sell the largest variety of fair food you've ever seen. On the 2011 menu: elephant ears, foot-long hotdogs, halava, ribs, grilled shrimp, falafel, kafta, fried catfish, souvlaki, Hawaiian shaved ice, ice cream, cheeseburgers - the list goes on. (See Festival's website for the full list of food offerings.)

As you can guess from my blog, I take pictures. And clearly, I love Festival. I also love food. So this weekend, I'm giving myself a photo assignment. In celebration of all of the food I love so much at Festival, I'm going to document it. Photos of Festival Food is my assignment. The results will be posted here. Stay tuned...

No comments: